There is nothing quite like the fluffy amazingness of a baked potato. Bursting open to reveal its steamy centre, well it can all get a bit romantic really. But, what do you put on it? Here’s our top ten baked potato toppings, just for you.
To make the perfect one, get a fat rooster potato and rub all over with olive oil. Prick a few times and scatter with sea salt before sticking directly onto the hot shelf of a preheated oven (180C/gas mark 4). Bake for an hour and a half, until the skin is crispy and the interior is fluffy and cooked through.
1. Red onions, finely sliced and cooked over a low heat with a tiny bit of thyme and a good pinch of salt, until soft and squidgy. Dollop onto the baked potato and crumble over some goat’s cheese.
2. Baked beans, Worcestershire sauce and grated Cheddar. Old school.
3. Bechamel sauce with loads of grated cheese and a teaspoon of Dijon mustard thrown in. Just before spooning over the potato, crumble in some bacon shards and scallions.
4. Loaded with chilli con carne and grated cheese.
5. Tuna, corn and mayo. Done.
6. Leftover bolognese sauce and Parmesan.
7. Chopped ham, chopped pineapple and grated cheese, put under the grill until the cheese is melted.
8. Mushrooms, fried in butter and garlic until golden and fragrant.
9. Coleslaw and cheese. An Irish classic.
10. Cream cheese and chives.