The first Irish Keelings cherries have just hit shelves around Ireland and we have a few recipes ideas to help you get the most out of these delicious treats.
The flavour of the Keelings cherries really comes to the fore with this cherry compote recipe! Perfect served with some goat’s cheese.
- 450g Keelings cherries
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh thyme – chopped
- Heat a pan over a medium-high temperature and cook the cherries and sugar – stirring occasionally for 5 mins.
- Add the thyme and vinegar and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Serve warm compote with goat’s cheese or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Grilled chicken with cherry sauce
This cherry sauce can really add a sweet kick to your dinner and combines perfectly with grilled chicken.
- 200g Keelings cherries
- 60ml dry red wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cherry preserves
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- Spray grill rack with cooking spray and heat up grill. In a small saucepan crush the Keelings cherries. Add the wine, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper and cherry preserves & bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins – stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, grill the chicken for 4 mins on each side, until cooked through.
- Serve chicken and top with cherry sauce. Bon appetite!
Creamy and sweet, this Keelings cherry fool simply can’t be beat.
- 300g Keelings cherries
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1/2 lemon – juiced
- 1/8 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract
- 225ml of non-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- 160ml whipped cream
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- Heat the cherries, honey, water, lemon juice, ginger and almond extract in a bowl over a medium-low heat for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Mash the mixture with a potato masher. Leave to cool.
- Combine the cherry mixture with the yoghurt and fold in whipped cream.
- Leave to chill in fridge for 1 hour. Garnish with mint leaves and serve.