One of the most popular frostings for cakes and cupcakes, this buttercream is quick and easy to whip up, and you can flavour it in almost any way you like.
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter, softened
- 500g/17½oz icing sugar
- 4 tbsp milk or cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ – 1 tsp salt
- Almond: Substitute 1 tsp almond extract for 1 tsp vanilla
- Chocolate: Substitute 60g/2oz sifted cocoa powder for 60g/2oz icing sugar
- Citrus: Add zest from 1 orange, lemon or 2 limes
- Coffee: Dissolve 2 tsp instant coffee powder or granules in milk or cream
- Liqueurs: Substitute 1-2 tbsp flavoured liqueur for 1-2 tbsp milk or cream
- Vanilla Bean: Substitute 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or seeds from 1 vanilla pod for the vanilla extract
1) In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
2) Sift in icing sugar and add milk or cream, vanilla (or other flavourings) and salt. Start beating together with mixer on lowest speed, once icing sugar has been mixed in, increase speed and beat until frosting is smooth and creamy. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl so that everything is well incorporated.
If not using immediately, cover the bowl with clingfilm, making sure the clingfilm is pressed against the surface of the frosting so that it doesn’t crust over. Give it a quick mix before using.
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. Before using, leave out at room temperature for 1-2 hours, then give a quick mix with an electric mixer.