We have teamed with James Whelan Butchers to bring you the 12 Days of Beef Dripping Recipes. For the next 12 days we will bring you scrumptious recipes to get your tastebuds tingling just in time for Christmas….Enjoy!
12 Days Of Beef Dripping Recipes, Day 1: Mark McGillycuddy recipe: Sticky roast parsnips, Chantenay carrots, glazed sprouts & apples
- 12 parsnips peeled and halved lengthwise
- 600g Chantennay carrots
- 3tbsp James Whelan beef dripping
- 2tbsp of Irish honey
- 2 tbsp of pomegranate molasses
- 2 tsp of coriander seeds crushed
- 4 red eating apples, cored and quartered
- 250g of Brussel sprouts, halved and blanched in salted water for 2 mins, then chilled
- Preheat an oven to 180c, add 1 tbsp of beef dripping to the roasting tray and add the parsnips and the carrots, mix the remaining melted dripping with the honey, pomegranate molasses and coriander seeds and seasoning and spoon over the vegetables, coat them in the mixture by turning them in it and then cook for a further 20 mins, then add the blanched sprouts and apples and cook for a further 20 mins until all the veg is browned glazed and tender.
Awarded the Great Taste Golden Fork award and named Supreme Champion at this year’s prestigious awards in London, James Whelan Beef Dripping is produced in Clonmel by Pat Whelan, a fifth generation butcher, and made from the purest suet from grass fed Irish Angus and Hereford beef, and wrapped simply in white waxed paper. These magical creamy ingots transform roast vegetables, crisp potatoes into delicious roasters and make the most perfectly golden fish and chips. The product stays fresh for up to six months, simply stored in a cool dark place.
In the words of Pat Whelan, “It’s the taste of my childhood, our Beef Dripping is nutrient rich, high in omega-3 acids, clean, pure and carries great flavour, whether for frying a steak, roasting potatoes, or spread onto good bread like lardo.” Just a spoonful of this once forgotten favourite can form part of a balanced diet and impart a rich savoury note into all manner of dishes, from roast potatoes and shortcrust pastry to the effortless indulgence of dripping on toast with a pinch of salt.
The Beef Dripping,priced €3.99, is available online at www.jameswhelanbutchers.com and from James Whelan Butchers at Clonmel, Tipperary, Avoca Food Market, Monkstown and Avoca, Rathcoole.