We have teamed with James Whelan Butchers to bring you the 12 Days of Beef Dripping Recipes. So far we have given you: Sticky Roast Parsnips, Chantenay Carrots, Glazed Sprouts & Apples, Mince Pies , Beef Dripping Shortcrust Pork and Cranberry Sausage Rolls, Roast Potatoes, D’s Skillet Gravy, Yorkshire Puddings & Beef Dripping Roast Vegetables. The perfect scrumptious recipes to get your tastebuds tingling just in time for Christmas….Enjoy!
12 Days Of Beef Dripping Recipes, Day 8: Beef Dripping Onion Rings
- 1 large onion, cut into 1cm slices, rings separated
- beef dripping, for deep frying
- 150g self-raising flour
- 180ml sparkling water
- Use a fork to steady your onion. Slice the onion into rings about 1cm wide. Remove the skin and separate the rings.
- Heat the beef dripping to 180C in a heavy-based pan – it should be no more than 1/ 3 full.
- Meanwhile put the flour and sparkling water in a bowl and season generously. Whisk together to form a batter.
- Coat a small batch of onion rings in batter. Carefully lower into the hot oil and deep-fry until crisp and golden, about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a piece of kitchen towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining onion and batter.
Awarded the Great Taste Golden Fork award and named Supreme Champion at this year’s prestigious awards in London, James Whelan Beef Dripping is produced in Clonmel by Pat Whelan, a fifth generation butcher, and made from the purest suet from grass fed Irish Angus and Hereford beef, and wrapped simply in white waxed paper. These magical creamy ingots transform roast vegetables, crisp potatoes into delicious roasters and make the most perfectly golden fish and chips. The product stays fresh for up to six months, simply stored in a cool dark place.
In the words of Pat Whelan, “It’s the taste of my childhood, our Beef Dripping is nutrient rich, high in omega-3 acids, clean, pure and carries great flavour, whether for frying a steak, roasting potatoes, or spread onto good bread like lardo.” Just a spoonful of this once forgotten favourite can form part of a balanced diet and impart a rich savoury note into all manner of dishes, from roast potatoes and shortcrust pastry to the effortless indulgence of dripping on toast with a pinch of salt.
The Beef Dripping,priced €3.99, is available online at www.jameswhelanbutchers.com and from James Whelan Butchers at Clonmel, Tipperary, Avoca Food Market, Monkstown and Avoca, Rathcoole.