Chef Adrian takes us through the finer points of perfecting the Christmas ham, and offers a few great ideas for using up any leftovers the next day.
COOKING YOUR HAM:
- Soak your ham in cold water for 12 – 24 hrs then drain before cooking.
- Simmer for 20 mins per LB (454g)
- Remove the outer layer of fat, score and add cloves.
- Then roast in the oven for the last 30 mins with a glaze.
What should you add to the pot when boiling the ham?
Try a few of the following:
Cloves, black peppercorns, a couple of Bay leaves, chopped Celery, Carrot & Onion, Thyme Sprigs, an orange studded with cloves or an apple cut in half.
Different Glazes for ham:
- Brown sugar, Honey and Mustard Glaze
- Cola Glaze
- Pineapple & Ginger Glaze
- Marmalade & Ground Ginger Glaze
- Orange & Soy Glaze`
What to do with Christmas Leftovers.
- Try making a pie with puff pastry – Simply chop your leftover cooked turkey, veg and gravy into a pie dish. Cover with the puff pastry and cook into the filling is hot and the pastry is golden.
- Use cooked turkey or ham leftovers in quiches.
- Use cooked turkey in a salad with mixed leaves, tomatoes and a dressing.
- Use your leftover ham with pasta, simply chop the cooked ham into bite size pieces & add a tin of chopped tomatoes to a pan, heat through, then chop up any fresh herbs that didn’t get used in the stuffing and add to the pan. Serve with some cooked drained pasta and enjoy.
- Leftover turkey is great in sandwiches when teamed up with stuffing and cranberry sauce.