Goodness Grains is a family owned gluten free bakery in Longford producing a range of fresh gluten free breads and baked goods and is the only producer of fresh gluten free Danish pastries in Ireland. Their range of gluten-free baked goods and treats have won 10 Great Taste Awards and 2 Blas na h’Eireann awards since production began in January 2013. Goodness Grains is one of a very few purpose built gluten free bakeries in Ireland and currently employs 17 full time personnel, 94% of whom are living in the environs of Longford.
Can you tell us a bit about your product?
We produce a range of Gluten Free Breads, Bagels and Confectionery Baked Goods, including Muffins, Brownies, Desserts, Danish Pastries and Cookies. We are the only producer of Fresh Gluten Free Danish Pastries in Ireland. All of our products are freshly baked and are suitable for freezing. Our entire product range comes individually wrapped which is a crucial element for Gluten Free products, to eliminate cross contamination issues for our Coeliac customers.
And also to note, some of our products currently fall into other Free From Categories, e.g. Diary, Egg and Nut. For example, all our bread products, including bread baps and bagels are Gluten, Wheat, Egg and Dairy Free, making them suitable for Vegans.
What inspired you to create your product?
In 2010 a customer came into our family restaurant one day and asked for gluten free bread to go with his lunch. We didn’t have any but we listened to what he had to say (allowed him to use his ‘own’ Gluten Free bread which he carried around in his pocket!) and the following day we had gluten free bread on our menu!
We started to extend our gluten free options on our restaurant menus but we found it difficult to source quality Gluten Free products so we began to develop Gluten Free products inhouse and with the help of our customers through tastings, focus groups and surveys we developed the Goodness Grains product range available today. We continue to work closely with our focus groups for new product development and monitoring changing requirements of the Gluten Free market in Ireland and UK.
Who is your customer?
- Referrals from Nutritionists/Dieticians – a growing number of our customer base falls into this category. Whilst not diagnosed Coeliacs, this consumer group find the health benefits of adhering to a Gluten Free diet helps with various medical conditions.
- High Performing Athletes
- Lifestyle Choice Consumers who want to follow a Gluten Free diet.
What tips would you give to someone who is starting out and wants to launch a food-related product/business?
- Identify a product that will work right through from concept, production and onto the shopping baskets and plates of consumers.
- Research your chosen market sector.
- Choose a product that will work across both Retail and Foodservice channels.
- Get Help and Support! The benefits of working with Local Enterprise Office and Bord Bia are immeasurable! In particular business programmes run by Bord Bia, such as Tesco Taste Bud, are important to establish connections through your chosen market channel.
- Familiarise yourself with the financial aids available through LEO and Bord Bia.
- Get to know your fellow producers – being part of the Food Sector community in Ireland today is very exciting and liaising with your fellow producers and learning from them can be hugely beneficial and offers great support on the not so good days!
Where can you buy this product and how much will it cost?
Available in selected Tesco stores and over 400 other outlets throughout Ireland – for full stockist list please see – www.goodnessgrains.com.
Prices vary per product and individual prices are also available to view on our website.
Price range from €2.50 to €3.99.
What does the future hold for your business?
Our goal is for Goodness Grains to be stocked as a retail product range nationwide in Ireland.
New Product Development is an integral element of our business and we are currently working on some new products for 2016.
We want to continue to address other allergens and that ultimately Goodness Grains will be a Free From Bakery, not just Gluten Free.
We have just began to export to UK this year and want to grow our export business there and beyond.
Our Mission is to be the No. 1 Favourite Gluten Free Brand in Ireland and UK. To achieve this mission, our promise is to produce great tasting gluten free products.
Goodness Grains is one of the nearly 70 Irish food and drink producers that have participated in the Tesco Taste Bud programme in partnership with Bord Bia.
Social media handles:
Facebook – \Goodness Grains
Twitter – @goodnessgrains