Keeling’s Blackberry Apple Loaf – The perfect teatime treat. This loaf will not disappoint in fact you will have to resist eating more than just one slice.
- 250g self-rising flour
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 apple, core removed and grated
- Zest from 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225g blackberries, divided
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan Assisted and line a large (1,7l) loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until mixture resembled breadcrumbs.
- Remove 5 tbsp of mixture to a small bowl. To that add the cinnamon and demerara sugar and give a quick mix to incorporate. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine grated apple, orange zest, eggs and vanilla extract. Give a quick mix with a fork to combine.
- Stir the baking powder into the first crumbed mixture, then add the wet ingredients. Stir just until combined, then fold in ¾ of the blackberries, try not to break them up while folding them in.
- Spoon batter into the prepared tin and level the mixture with a spatula. Scatter the remaining blackberries on top, then sprinkle with the mixture that was set aside.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes – 1 hour 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, cover with tinfoil halfway through baking.
- Leave to cool in the baking tin on a wire rack for about 30 minutes, then remove from tin and leave to cool completely on the wire rack before serving.