Eating a healthy balanced diet will make you feel great, look your best and maintain a healthy weight. Part of a healthy diet is eating your 5 a day. Check out Keelings Top 5 Healthy Recipes for some inspiration:
1. Portobello Mushroom Burger
The Portobello is quiet a beefy mushroom, so it seems always appropriate that it features as the centre-piece of our vegetarian burger recipe. Who knows, with meals this healthy and delicious it may convince you to become a full-time vegetarian!
- Keelings Lettuce
- Keelings Red peppers
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps
- 60ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced provolone cheese (optional)
1. Preheat-grill on a medium-high heat. Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper – Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, turning twice.
2. Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently. Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling.
3. Serve on a burger bun with Keelings lettuce & red peppers and your chosen sauce.
2. Keelings Apple & Walnut Salad
A salad and an apple are common items in lunch-boxes the country over. Let this Keelings apple & walnut salad replace these lunch-box staples by combining them. Keep hold of all the nutrients while increasing the flavour.
- 350g torn romaine
- 350g torn Keelings lettuce
- 2 Keelings eating apples.
- 100g crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 50g chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 a small red onion, thinly
- 40g dried cranberries
- 180ml apple cider or juice
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup walnut oil or canola oil
- In a salad bowl, combine the lettuce, romaine, apples, cheese, walnuts, onion and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cider, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper before gradually whisking in the oil
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad & toss to coat. Serve immediately.
3. Keelings Strawberry Soup
Soup usually arrives at the start of the meal, but this Keelings strawberry soup could book-end your meal at the end. This flavoursome recipe is the perfect dessert for anyone with a sweet-tooth who also happens to be health conscious.
- 1kg ripe Keelings strawberries, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon acacia honey
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 120ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- Fresh mint (freshly chopped), whipped cream & almonds to serve.
- Isolate a 1/4 of the strawberries, quarter them and toss in a large bowl along with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and the sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.
- Place the remaining strawberries in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse to a coarse puree. Add the remaining lemon juice, the orange juice, the honey and the rose water and beat together. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, stir the quartered strawberries with the juice that has accumulated in the bowl into the crushed strawberries. Ladle into bowls, top with freshly chopped mint, cream and almonds to serve.
4. Keelings Stuffed Peppers
These Keelings stuffed peppers could be the perfect meal. They’re low in fat, high in fibre, chock-full of vitamins, thoroughly filling & undeniably delicious. There won’t be so much as a crumb left on the plate, a contented smile being the only evidence of it having ever existed.
- 300ml vegetable broth
- 140g couscous
- 4 large Keelings bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 170g courgette, thinly sliced
- 170g yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 140g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 110g crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven 180 degrees Celsius & coat a small baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a saucepan, add the couscous, cover the pan and remove it from the heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the stems and top half inch off the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds and membranes. Boil trimmed peppers for 5 minutes, then drain them upside down.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion, courgette, yellow squash, fennel seeds, oregano, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the tomatoes and chickpeas. Using a fork, scrape the couscous into the skillet and toss with the vegetables. Stir in the crumbled feta.
- Place peppers upright in the baking dish and fill them with couscous. Bake 15 minutes.
5. Keelings Blueberry Bites
Seeds, nuts and berries, three of the best snackable foods, but which one to choose? These Keelings blueberry bites makes the decision easy by combining all three. Just like all good snacks, you won’t be able to stop at one!
- 40g cashew nuts
- 6 dates, pitted
- 75g Keelings blueberries
- 35g sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- sesame seeds
- Place cashews in food processor & pulse into crumbs.
- Add the dates and blueberries to the processor & pulse to combine.
- In a mixing bowl add the sunflower butter, spirulina powder, cinnamon and salt to the pulsed fruit – combine.
- Roll mixture into 1 inch balls & coat in sesame seeds.
Keelings is a family owned Irish company. Our family’s expertise in growing dates back to 1926 when we established our farm and in the 1930s, we began growing fruits and salads and supplying them to the local Dublin markets. With such a long history of growing, we like to think we know a thing or two about fruit and we look forward to sharing our knowledge, passion and love for healthy produce and recipes with you and your family.