Dubliner Cheese Stuffed Aubergine Boats – are a perfect family dish. They make a great alternative to a meat based dish.
- 2 aubergines
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 100g quinoa, cooked in vegetable stock
- 200g Dubliner Lighter Red Cheese, grated
- Pine nuts, optional
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 180°C fan assisted and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Cut the aubergines in half lengthways. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1cm boarder inside aubergine halves, then use a spoon to help remove the flesh from the middle.
3. Roughly dice the removed aubergine flesh and set aside. Brush hollowed out aubergine boats with olive oil, place cut side up on the baking tray then bake for about 20 minutes until cooked and the edges are starting to char slightly.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat then drizzle with 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Add the diced aubergine and allow to brown slightly, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to medium low and continue to cook until aubergine is mostly cooked through.
5. Add the onion, garlic and salt and cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and cooked quinoa, cook for further 5 minutes until tomatoes start to soften and release their juices.
6. Remove from heat and stir in 150g of the grated Dubliner Lighter Red cheese. Spoon filling into the roasted aubergine boats and sprinkle each with pine nuts (or any other seed of your choice) and the remaining 50g grated Dubliner Lighter Red cheese.
7. Return to the 200°C / 180°C fan assisted oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese on top has melted.
8. Serve immediately.