Fyffes Banana Bread Pudding
This dessert is a real treat and will be sure to impress your guests and especially if they love bananas.
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 375ml milk
- 250ml cream
- 1x (350g) large baguette, 2-3 days old
- 3 firm bananas, sliced
- 260g caramel sauce
- Beat together first 4 ingredients with a whisk in a large bowl, then stir in milk and cream.
- Cut baguette into thick slices, then cut each slice into 4 pieces. Add to the liquid mixture with the sliced bananas and toss together. Leave to stand for 20-30 minutes so that the bread absorbs most of the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan assisted and butter a large 2l baking dish. If caramel sauce is too thick, warm slightly so that it’s easy to drizzle, then spoon half of the caramel over the bottom of the buttered dish.
- Spoon the soaked bread mixture into the dish, then drizzle the remaining caramel sauce over the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (try to avoid inserting into a banana piece, otherwise it will appear as though the pudding isn’t yet baked.)
- Leave to stand for about 10 minutes before serving whilst still warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or thick pouring cream.
- It’s also delicious with a large handful of chopped pecan nuts sprinkled on top of the pudding 10 minutes before the baking time is finished.