Fyffes Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- For the topping:
- 55g unsalted butter, melted
- 50g light brown sugar
- 6-8 slices fresh pineapple, core removed
- Glacé cherries
For the cake:
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/gas 4 and line the bottom of a 20cm (8 inch) cake pan with a round of parchment paper.
- Pour the melted butter into the pan, then sprinkle with the sugar. Arrange the pineapple rings in the pan, then place a glacé cherry in the gaps.
- For the cake, place all of the ingredients in a large bowl, then beat with an electric mixer just until combined. Pour cake batter into the cake tin on top of the pineapple, then smooth out the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the cake tin for 5-10 minutes, then carefully turn out warm cake onto a serving plate, peel away the parchment paper.
- Serve while still warm with a scoop of ice-cream, or leave to enjoy when cooled.