Looking for the ultimate comfort food then look no further, check out Macaroni & Dubliner Cheese. This is a great family meal and the perfect recipe to get the kids involved with.
- 300g dried macaroni or similar pasta
- 20g butter
- 1 leek, washed & sliced
- 1½ heaped tbsp plain flour
- 500ml milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt & pepper
- 200g Dubliner white cheese, divided
- 1 vine cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C / 200°C fan assisted / gas 7.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain then toss with a drizzle of olive oil. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot over a low heat. Add the sliced leek and gently cook until leek has softened. Sprinkle over the flour and mix to combine, turn heat up to medium and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Slowly whisk in the milk then increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil, make sure to stir continuously to avoid lumps, cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce then gently stir until all the pasta has been coated. Add the nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in 150g of the Dubliner cheese then fold in the cherry tomatoes.
- Spoon into an oven safe baking dish then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.