Tesco’s Roast Veg Soup in 3 Easy Steps makes the perfect starter for your Christmas dinner.
- 3 celery stalks
- 3 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 2 potatoes, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- ½ butternut squash
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1.5 l chicken or vegetable stock
- To serve: fresh thyme & grated nutmeg
- Cream or extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6, line a large roasting tray with parchment paper or foil.
- Cut vegetables into similar sized pieces then place in the prepared roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Give a quick toss to coat all of the vegetables, then roast for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are cooked through.
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a large pot, then add the roasted vegetables.
- Blend with a stick blender until soup is smooth. Alternatively, spoon stock and vegetables into a food processor or blender and process until smooth, in batches if needed.
- Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. Keep warm over low heat with the lid on until ready to serve.
- When serving, garnish each bowl of soup with a drizzle of cream or olive oil, then sprinkle with fresh thyme and some nutmeg.
Tip: Soup can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept in the fridge until needed. To heat, place in a large pot and gently bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add a bit of water if needed.