Keelings Berry Trifle
This delicious trifle loaded with juicy berries makes a gorgeous centrepiece, yet it’s so simple to assemble which makes it a perfect do-ahead dessert that’s sure to please a crowd.
- 1 pkt strawberry or raspberry jelly
- 500ml water
- 450g strawberries, trimmed and halved. Divided
- 250g raspberries, divided
- 1 Swiss roll, cut into thick slices
- 2-3 tbsp Kirsch or berry flavoured liqueur, optional
- 2-3 tbsp berry coulis
- 1l custard
- 500ml fresh cream
- To prepare the jelly, follow the instructions on the package to melt and mix it with the amount of water specified. Pour liquid jelly into a large clear bowl or trifle dish. Once cooled to room temperature, add half of the raspberries and strawberries to the jelly. Place bowl in the fridge and leave to set, 1-2 hours.
- Cut the slices of Swiss roll in half. Once jelly has set, arrange the halved slices in a single layer on top of the jelly, with the cut side pressed up against the sides of the bowl. Trim slices of Swiss roll as needed to fit into any gaps.
- If adding liqueur, drizzle 2-3 tbsp over the Swiss roll, then drizzle with 2-3 tbsp berry coulis.
- Arrange a ring of strawberries on top of the Swiss roll, with the cut side pressed up against the side of the bowl. Spoon the custard on top then smooth the surface with a spatula or back of a spoon.
- Next, whip the cream just until firm, then carefully spread it on top of the custard. Finally, top off with the remaining berries.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- To prepare ahead, assemble as instructed to the custard step, then cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for up to 2 days. On the day of serving, top with whipped cream and berries. Leftovers will keep for up to 2 days in the fridge.