Bacon on Eggy Bread with Field Mushrooms Eggy bread is one of life’s pleasures when done right. Top it with crispy bacon and mushrooms and it’s perfect for any occasion. Recipe by Brian McDermott from his cookbook Donegal Table, published by The O’Brien Press. Photographs by A Fox in the Kitchen.
Bacon on Eggy Bread with Field MushroomsAdd to My Cookbook
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 8 rashers dry-cured streaky bacon
- 4 eggs
- 50 ml milk
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of bread (preferably batch loaf, see page 128)
- Drizzle of rapeseed oil
- 50 g butter
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- Handful of rocket leaves
- 40 g tomato ketchup
- Heat the grill and grill the bacon until crispy.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the milk, cinnamon and a twist of black pepper.
- Place the bread in the egg mix for one minute to soak.
- Heat a large frying pan and add a drizzle of oil and half of the butter. Add the slices of bread and cook on medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Place the bread in a warm oven, and in the same pan add the rest of the butter and fry the sliced mushrooms with the sprig of thyme and some more black pepper.
- Serve the bread with the rocket, bacon, mushrooms and a dollop of ketchup.
- Brian’s Tip This is also great with quality sausages from your local butcher.