Nessa Robbins’ bread sauce is the ultimate accompaniment to Christmas dinner. Follow her easy recipe to achieve delicious sauce, every time.
Bread SauceAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 600ml milk
- 1 onion, quartered and studded with 8 cloves
- 50g butter
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Generous grating of nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 100ml cream
- Knob of butter
- To serve:
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan. Add the clove-studded onion, butter, peppercorns, thyme, bay leaf and a generous grating of nutmeg. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes.
- If you have time, do this the day before, leave to cool completely, and then chill overnight.
- Pass the milk through a sieve and pour into a clean saucepan.
- Add the breadcrumbs, cream and butter and heat through on a very low heat for 15 minutes, keeping a watchful eye that it doesn’t stick to the saucepan.
- Taste and season if necessary with salt and pepper. Add a little milk if the bread sauce is too thick.
- To serve, spoon into a bowl and serve hot with an extra little grating of nutmeg.