Lilly Higgins is a Cork based food writer and photographer. Author of Make Bake Love and Dream Deli, Lilly also writes for various newspapers and magazines. She loves everything to do with food and so do her two baby boys.
Chicken & Chorizo EmpanadaAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (3 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 100g chorizo, diced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 20g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 800g ready made puff pastry sheets, thawed
- Plain flour for dusting the work surface
- 1 egg, whisked with 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for three minutes before adding the diced chorizo. Cook for a further five minutes until the oils from the chorizo are released and the onions are soft. Add the paprika and fry, stirring for a further minute before removing from the heat. Leave to cool.
- Place the shredded chicken, diced red pepper, seasoning and onion mix into a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Use a saucer or side plate depending on what sized empanada you would like. Place on a sheet of pastry and trace around the saucer with a knife. Place 1.5 tbsp filling onto one half of the circle. Wet around the edges with a little water then fold over the other half. Seal around the edges using a fork dipped in flour. Place on the prepared tray and brush generously with the beaten egg. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake the empanadas in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden brown. You may need to rotate the trays half way through cooking.
- Serve whilst still hot.
Thu, 04 Mar 2021
Wed, 24 Feb 2021
Thu, 18 Feb 2021
Thu, 11 Feb 2021
Tue, 09 Feb 2021