Easter Simnel Cake created by Master Pastry Chef, Shane Smith.
Easter Simnel CakeAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermed..
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 300g soft butter
- 220g brown sugar
- 5 medium eggs
- 100g washed & dried glacéed cherries
- 225g self raising flour
- 220g sultanas
- 100g currants
- 50g mixed peel
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 orange zest
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Filling & Topping:
- 500g neutral / golden marzipan
- Apricot jam
- Preheat your oven to 150°C. Grease and line your 8” round deep cake tin with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter & sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the eggs, one at a time until combined.
- Sift in the flour, mixed spice, cinnamon & mix.
- Add in the dried fruit, orange & lemon zest, combine but do not over-mix.
- Place half the batter into the lined tin.
- Taking 1/3 of the marzipan, roll into a circle the same size as the tin and place on top of the batter.
- Top this with the remaining cake mixture and bake for 2 hours or until cake is firm to touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Take out from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the tin and remove parchment paper and cool on a wire rack.
- When cooled, warm the apricot jam and brush on top of the cake.
- Roll half the remaining marzipan out to fit on top of the cake, press down and crimp the edges to decorate. Mark the top with a criss cross pattern using a sharp knife and roll the remaining marzipan into 11 balls
- Brush the top of the cake with egg wash and arrange the 11 balls around the edge, brush the balls with egg wash and place under a hot grill until the marzipan turns golden brown.
- Decorate the cake by tying a ribbon around the centre. Enjoy!
Thu, 04 Mar 2021
Wed, 24 Feb 2021
Thu, 18 Feb 2021
Thu, 11 Feb 2021
Tue, 09 Feb 2021