Italy meets Ireland with this one-pot-wonder a healthy, nutritious meals for a midweek meal solution. This is packed with flavour and with chicken thighs, it freezes very well, also.
Italian Style Tomato Chicken HotpotAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 8 deboned skinless chicken thighs
- 8 shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp chopped oregano
- 400g tinned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp honey
- 500ml chicken stock
- 12 black olives, pitted
for parmesan topping:
- 4 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp melted butter mixed with 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
- 2 tsp chopped mixed rosemary and oregano
- Olive oil, for frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a little oil in a casserole dish over a medium heat.
- Add the chicken thighs and sear until golden brown. Place on a clean plate and set aside.
- Season the thighs with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sear until golden, place on a clean plate and set aside.
- Add the shallots and sauté for about 4 minutes until golden before adding the garlic and cooking for 1 minute. Add the carrot, rosemary and oregano as well as the tomatoes, honey and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and check the seasoning, adding salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Return the chicken thighs to the casserole and stir well, add the olives.
- For the topping, arrange the potato slices neatly over the top of the casserole starting from the outer edge and leaving a small space in the centre.
- Brush the potato slices with the melted butter and oil and sprinkle over the parmesan and chopped herbs on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 to 35 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and golden.
- Leave to settle for 5 minutes before serving.