This simple zesty almond cake will keep well in your kitchen for up to a week.
Zesty Almond CakeAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (3.7 /5)
- 3 ratings
- Butter, for greasing
- 6 eggs, separated
- 225g caster sugar
- 230g ground almonds
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 100g flaked almonds
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 23cm round deep spring-form tin with baking paper.
- Put the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl. Using an electrical whisk beat for a few minutes until pale and thick. Fold in the almonds and zest.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg whites with the extra spoon of sugar to soft peaks. Mix a little into the almond mixture to loosen, then fold in the rest until combined.
- Pour into the cake tin and cover with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If the almonds start to colour too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
- Cool in tin and dust with icing sugar before serving.